Last night the whole family got out to make some more soil blocks. We started a few parsley and cilantro as well as two whole trays of shelling peas. Peas are typically direct sown since their roots grow out so quickly. Soil blocking helps mitigate that issue by reducing root binding and disturbance during transplanting. Plus, you can put one seed per block, reducing the amount of seeds required. Something is very satisfying about a fresh tray of blocks.
I don’t think the soil blocks are getting enough water. Even if the tops are staying wet, the bottom half seems to dry out. Adjustments will have to be made. You can just barely make out the dry soil in the picture below.
Later tonight Becca and I started on a project that’s been on my mind for a while: Organizing all of the seeds. In total we have 42 varieties. After a season or two of abuse, the original seed packets start looking a little worse for wear. I purchased a box of 4”x6” metal clasp envelopes and we placed the seeds in those.
Now to build a box to store all of these envelopes.